Kim Bongiorno is an author, freelance writer, and blogger. Best known for her popular blog LetMeStartBySaying and Facebook Page, she has also been published in three books, all while writing for sites such as InThePowderRoom, The Huffington Post and others. Kim lives in New Jersey with her handsome husband and two charmingly loud kids.

Party Planning Done Right

I know I’m not the only parent who is anxious to see what her kids will be when they grow up. I’ve been marveling at my kids’ talents and jumping to conclusions from the first day they were able to do anything more than simultaneously drool and poop.

My daughter could draw more realistically than some of her peers since preschool – famous artist!

My son swung a bat perfectly at age three – baseball star!

My daughter loves helping me bake cookies – pastry chef!

My son is ridiculously likeable and always smiling – game show host!

On one hand, I don’t want to rush them. They are at delicious ages, six and eight, and when I’m not threatening them with “APOLOGIZE TO HER/HIM AND GO TO YOUR ROOM,” I’m marveling at how quickly their permanent personalities are forming, the unexpected things that come from their mouths and minds that make me laugh with glee.

On the other hand, I imagine is must be so fulfilling to sit back and watch your grown children do what they love. I am tickled at the certain way my son holds his books when he reads in his bed at night. I imagine I’ll be over the moon when I see him throw a game-winning pitch or receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Recently I got a peek into another career option for my daughter.

She stormed right up to me to hand over a list of supplies. Apparently, she had been planning a party in her bedroom, and I needed to get shopping immediately so she can throw “The Best Party Ever.”

Party Planning by Kim Bongiorno of @LetMeStart on @TodaysMama #cake #parenting #humor

Forget centerpieces, fancy invitations or mood lighting. My girl knows exactly what it takes to make a successful soiree.

If I was ever invited to a gathering with that many cake and ice cream options, I’d clear my calendar, pronto.

Not only did she get right to the heart of what is important in a formal celebration (cake and ice cream), she didn’t forget to offer a nutritious treat to the more health-conscious guests who work up an appetite on that dance floor. So fun, yet so considerate!

I think I can scratch Artist and Pasty Chef off her future career list for now. My baby’s got some serious party-planning skills.

What do you think your kids will grow up to be?
And, more importantly, will you hire my daughter to plan your next party?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , , , ,

1. Suburban Snapshots 06/27/2013 at 7:51 pm

I’m not sure, is there a profession for people who constantly fall out of CHAIRS?

2. Pingback: Summing Up My Week… (06/16/13-06/23/13) | Let Me Start By Saying…

3. BIG CHEF ONLINE 06/23/2013 at 6:47 pm

Love this: Not only did she get right to the heart of what is important in a formal celebration (cake and ice cream), she didn’t forget to offer a nutritious treat to the more health-conscious guests who work up an appetite on that dance floor. Sounds like a Party Planner in the making. Some people just have a mind that can sort things out, and coordinate better than others. Keep encouraging her as it will inspire her to find her passion and fulfill her own destiny! Thanks for the reminder of how important it is to recognize our children’s strengths.
    Warmly,

Rosana Santos Calambichis, President
    BigChefOnline.com

4. Pingback: Cute Kid Note Of The Day: Snax | Top-Celebrities-News.com

5. Pingback: Cute Kid Note Of The Day: Snax | Vapor King | Electronic Cigarettes | Vapor Cigarette | Electric Cigarette

6. Pingback: Cute Kid Note Of The Day: Snax ,Vancouver Island, Canada

7. Pingback: Forbidden News » Cute Kid Note Of The Day: Snax

8. Pingback: Cute Kid Note Of The Day: Snax :: iShoutLoud

9. Pingback: Cute Kid Note Of The Day: Snax | Love Cupid

10. Pingback: Cute Kid Note Of The Day: Snax

11. Pingback: Cute Kid Note Of The Day: SnaxBreaking News and Opinion | Jobs. Justice. Dreams. - The Truth w. Robert Patillo

12. Pingback: Cute Kid Note Of The Day: Snax | Go to News!

13. Chris Carter 06/21/2013 at 7:40 am

SO cute Kim!! I want to come to THAT party!!! ;)

• Kim Bongiorno 06/21/2013 at 12:10 pm

I’ll see you there. I’ll be at the long table by the ice cream cupcakes.

14. JD Bailey @ Honest Mom 06/19/2013 at 9:08 pm

She’s a GENIUS. Obviously. She has her priorities in the right place with all the cake and ice cream snax.

My 4yo wants to be a princess. My 7yo wants to be a famous dancer and a teacher. We dream big over here!

• Kim Bongiorno 06/19/2013 at 9:18 pm

I may never spell it any way other than “snax” again in my life.

I love big dreamers!

15. Deb @ Urban Moo Cow 06/19/2013 at 7:41 pm

Yay! You’re here! So far my son has above average music and fine motor skills. So, singing carpenter?

But seriously, I do think about that sometimes. But I spent my whole life thinking about it for myself, and honestly, I just want him to be happy and fulfilled. I know that is so cliched, but it is the honest-to-god truth.

• Kim Bongiorno 06/19/2013 at 8:09 pm

A singing carpenter would be fantastic!

I know I was all over the place just WORKING instead of doing what I loved, and it colors my desire for my kids to really find out what they want to do so they can do it.
      Though, I don’t know how my kid can top this party planning idea. I mean 3 kinds of cake? Genius.

16. Meredith 06/19/2013 at 3:19 pm

Oh please, please, please, can you send her over her ASAP to plan my daughter’s birthday party? I promise to pay her well with very good ice cream and she would be a complete saving grace, since kids’ birthday parties terrify me!

• Kim Bongiorno 06/19/2013 at 3:40 pm

Add some sprinkled on that ice cream and it’s a DEAL.

17. Tracy @ Momaical 06/19/2013 at 3:10 pm

Girlfriend knows how to PARTAY. She either needs to work in events or become a socialite.

• Kim Bongiorno 06/19/2013 at 3:39 pm

I’m hoping party planner, which will keep her busy enough to stay out of the kind of trouble socialites tend to get into. ;)

18. Creed Anthony 06/19/2013 at 3:00 pm

Hilarious. Life is best with cake and ice cream. Always love your stuff, Kim.

• Kim Bongiorno 06/19/2013 at 3:38 pm

Thanks, Creed! I’ll save an extra cupcake for you.

19. Mom's New Stage 06/19/2013 at 11:53 am

I would love to hire someone who’s not interested in impressing everyone, but just wants everyone to have a good time and EAT! And as for jobs for my kids, of course I think dancer :-), but then I have thought architect, fashion designer, politician (not because I want that but because of my son’s social skills) and tycoon (greedy little kids!). G

Another great post, Kim!

• Kim Bongiorno 06/19/2013 at 12:14 pm

She’s ALL about a good time – that’s my girl!

I’d love to see little dancers follow in your wake, but a dancing tycoon? Possibly even better. ;)

20. Nikki 06/19/2013 at 11:35 am

I will bring my iPod and a butt kicking playlist. I will also bring baby wipes to clean up the frosting and schmutz. PARTY!

21. Lori Wescott 06/19/2013 at 9:54 am

Brilliant girl. Just like her Mom. I barely even needed the translations.

• Kim Bongiorno 06/19/2013 at 12:15 pm

I was impressed that she remembered the hook for the disco ball. It’s just not the same when it’s sitting on the floor.
      Thanks for coming over!

22. Mere 06/19/2013 at 9:35 am

She looks to have all the necessary items for a great party. Cake and ice cream a plenty. Perfect!

• Kim Bongiorno 06/19/2013 at 12:16 pm

Cake, ice cream AND cupcakes a plenty – hooray!

23. Michiko 06/19/2013 at 9:29 am

So cute! I’m in – I LOVE ice cream. And I love planning my kids’ future jobs. The oldest boy – engineer. He comes up with some crazy origami designs! The girl – superstar. She dances & she sings (the best I’ve ever seen)! My youngest boy – athlete for sure. He loves football and plays t-ball like a pro!

• Kim Bongiorno 06/19/2013 at 12:16 pm

Ice cream always makes a party perfect!
      And I love that your kids each have very different jobs. You must be so proud!

24. Bethany @ Bad Parenting Moments 06/19/2013 at 8:51 am

I have a VERY special place in my heart for any child who knows that in order to have a good party, you need a disco ball. I’d go to her soiree any day. My son is obsessed with watching the bartenders make specialty cocktails on All Recipes. I find it so amusing, but, also so interesting. He face is so intense as he watches the mixology occur. I can’t help but hope, “chemist” although I would be also be happy to frequent his martini bar.

• Kim Bongiorno 06/19/2013 at 8:54 am

I’m imagining him opening a funky bar a la “Cocktails” where they shake those frosty containers and make magic for us exhausted women in need of escape.
      He can come work any of my daughter’s parties. We tip well.

25. hollow tree ventures 06/19/2013 at 8:20 am

My favorite? “People” made the list – but almost as an afterthought. So sweet. :)

• Kim Bongiorno 06/19/2013 at 8:24 am

While she is a hoot all on her own, she does think a proper party needs a few others in attendance.
      Hope to see you there!

26. Jessica 06/19/2013 at 7:45 am

You definitely have a party planner on your hands and love the font she used for her list. Little people handwriting is my favorite.

• Kim Bongiorno 06/19/2013 at 7:48 am

The color switch-up on her list was fun as well – maybe a teaser as to the party’s color scheme?
      I love that you can see the difference between kids writing stuff they are confident in – like words they practiced in school – and words they are trying to spell on their own. I keep WAY too much of these little notes, but they are so cute to me!

27. Anna 06/19/2013 at 7:13 am

I would totally want to score an invite to that party! I’m not sure what my kids will be one day, but I’m still hoping for a brother-sister ice skating duo.

• Kim Bongiorno 06/19/2013 at 7:42 am

Ice skating due would be FABULOUS. Now all we need is someone to make the costumes. Hmmm…..

28. Pingback: Announcing: Kim Bongiorno on Today’s Mama | Kim Bongiorno Writes

29. Pingback: A New Gig (Possibly for the Both of Us) | Let Me Start By Saying…