Kim Bongiorno is an author, freelance writer, and blogger. Best known for her popular blog LetMeStartBySaying and Facebook Page, she has also been published in three books, all while writing for sites such as InThePowderRoom, The Huffington Post and others. Kim lives in New Jersey with her handsome husband and two charmingly loud kids.

A More Accurate Summer Forecast

About ten years ago, I vacationed in Arizona. It reached 106°F during my trip, and I was shocked at how…downright pleasant that temperature was. This magical “Dry Heat” barely caused underboob sweat, even in the triple digits.

And that is a beautiful thing.

I grew up in Massachusetts, then moved to New Jersey, so was used to anything above 85°F being nothing less than painfully oppressive. Weathermen didn’t just give the temperature, itself, they also gave a “Feels Like” temperature to ensure you knew exactly how miserable you’d be that day.

I could see how this kind of forecast would confuse someone visiting the Northeast from Arizona and its delightfully arid neighboring states. Hearing, “Today expect temps in the 90s, which Feels Like 101” sounds to them like “Today expect a beautiful day, which Feels Like a lavender-scented warm towel after an invigorating massage.”

To prevent further miscommunication, I created a more accurate Feels Like chart for those of you traveling to the more humid states this summer.

You’re welcome.

Accurate Summer Forecast by Kim Bongiorno @LetMeStart on @TodaysMama #humor #summer #heatwave

So, how’s the weather this week in your neck of the woods? Dog breath or chili swimming?

Tags: , , ,

1. Pingback: Summing Up My Week… (07/21/13-07/28/13) | Let Me Start By Saying…

2. Stephanie Young 07/23/2013 at 8:49 pm

I never, ever want to feel the moist interior of a plush Chuck E Cheese costume on a busy suburban Saturday or any other freaking day of the week!

3. TK 07/23/2013 at 2:31 pm

I live in a desert so yes, I am comfortable being scorched! Love the chart, and there’s only one way to describe the summers in my part of the world: mind-numbing!

• Kim Bongiorno 07/23/2013 at 8:51 pm

I must get out there again soon – it is so beautiful out there, and I complain a lot less when it’s hot out. 😉

4. christie 07/23/2013 at 12:45 pm

I live in DC and my brother lives in AZ and I’ve been there often, though not in the middle of summer. I did stop in Phoenix on a cross country road trip in August and here is the difference, to me, in August.
    AZ: Whacked upside the head with a hot iron
    DC: Whacked upside the head with a wet hot iron

5. JD @ Honest Mom 07/23/2013 at 10:27 am

You completely nailed New England weather. It’s gross and humid out there today, but at least it’s not 95 degrees gross. Phew!

• Kim Bongiorno 07/23/2013 at 8:50 pm

I remember laying in my bed as a kid – no A/C – thinking I would just be absorbed into the wet air and disappear. How I ever survived that heat without A/C is a mystery!

6. Stay At Home Brad 07/22/2013 at 3:46 pm

Where I live it’s more like Arizona weather so this will come in handy when I travel to more humid climes. Plus it’s funny, at least to me being all arid and junk. Sorry about your Chuck E. Cheese suits.

• Kim Bongiorno 07/22/2013 at 4:19 pm

I appreciate your apology. And if youcan somehow bring that arid weather to NJ/NYC, I’d really appreciate it.

7. Sisterhood of the Sensible Moms 07/22/2013 at 2:01 pm

They all made me laugh, but you nailed 105 degrees. If you had left the ferrets out, it would have just been accurate for 103. Ellen

• Kim Bongiorno 07/22/2013 at 3:03 pm

I strive for accuracy, Ellen. That’s how I roll.

8. Carisa Miller 07/22/2013 at 12:17 pm

Here in Portland, OR we’re in a streak of ‘I might be able to make it through the day without air conditioning’ mornings followed by cloud burn off and ‘Holy help me, I’m melting’ afternoons. The most important thing right now though, is the forecast where you are. I really appreciate the high 70’s low 80’s Blogher outlook. Please do everything in your power to keep us away from the underarms of public transit travelers this weekend!

• Kim Bongiorno 07/22/2013 at 3:03 pm

Yes ma’am. I promise to do my best to control the weather in Chicago for the next 6 days, just so you are comfortable. 😉

9. Well… today it is raining but yesterday was what we call “Communist Heat”… severely oppressive…

• Kim Bongiorno 07/22/2013 at 3:02 pm

Oh! But RAIN! That means relief, right?

10. Parenting with Parents 07/22/2013 at 8:10 am

Muggy is the only word to describe the weather where I’m at. The kind of muggy where you walk outside and instantly feel like you’ve entered a sauna.

• Kim Bongiorno 07/22/2013 at 3:02 pm

Yes. That is very unpleasant, indeed.

11. Pingback: I’m So Totally a Meteorologist. Kind Of. | Let Me Start By Saying…